The gstreamer third way

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Oct 10 09:08:17 UTC 2007

Andy Green wrote:
>> Well there are 2 possible situations:
>> A) The projects that depend on samba are willing to address the
>> licensing problem
>> B) They are not
>>
>> If A we have time, we are talking about F9, plenty of time.
>>
>> If B then they have 2 choices:
>> B.1) Drop functionality
>> B.2) Implement/maintain/whatever their own SMB/CIFS support
>
> Can this not ultimately be framed and resolved in the same way as
> gstreamer-plugins-good/bad/ugly? If it is still only a matter of
> distribution (I didn't really understand the whole of the GPL3 yet), the
> combination can occur at the end-user.

No. The ugly gstreamer plugins don't have a license problem, but a
patents problem and this problem apply only on certain parts of the
world, there are other parts where they are perfectly fine from any
point of view.

Using the same way for Samba would be knowingly breaking the GPL,
something I don't think anybody want to do.