samba license change

Laurent Rineau laurent.rineau__fedora at normalesup.org
Wed Oct 10 13:31:54 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 10 October 2007 14:12:09 Jon Ciesla wrote:
> I'm not the person with the expertise to accomplish this, but would it be
> possible to have the rpm build process check the license tag of the
> current spec, query the license tags of BuildRequires, and die with an
> error if a license violation occurs?

It would not solve the current problem (namely Samba relicensing): as
libsmbclient does not change its soname, a simple upgrade of Samba can make
KDE modules be linked with GPLv3 code.

That procedure that you described needs also to check license of packages that
BuildRequires (rescursively) the package that is being rebuild.

Maybe the repo construction step could check licensing. That does not seem
easy at all, though.

--
Laurent Rineau
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LaurentRineau