better install experience

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 00:22:18 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 15:18 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
>> Some time back, IIRC I posted that it would improve the user experience
>> if
>> fedora installer would include a few tools.  I am (once again) getting a
>> new machine, and (once again) it's coming with windoze pre-installed.  I
>> need to do ntfsresize.  Last time, I had to grab a live-cd that had an
>> ntfsresize, before I could do fedora install.  Has this situation
>> improved?
>>
>> If we want to improve the user experience, it would be great if anaconda
>> offered to do the resize.  Even for an experienced user, who wants to d/l
>> + burn >1 cd/dvd?
>
> Are you offering to help by contributing code?  Because honestly, it's
> not like we don't want to do it.
[...]

No, I have no plan to implement this any time soon.  But an important part
of progress on a large project is to generate good ideas, and to make sure
good ideas are organized into a plan.  So, I'd like to make 2 points:

1) Contributing good ideas is an important contribution, even if the
originator lacks the time or expertise to implement it.

2) Does fedora have a good way to organize suggestions and develop them into
goals?  I guess I'm not really aware of anything, other than posting on
this list - and with this method good ideas might easily be forgotten.