better install experience

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Oct 11 07:31:25 UTC 2007

/me got some download numbers from livna, so I'll send one final mail

On 10.10.2007 23:17, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 23:02 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> /me will keep away from this thread now -- this won't lead to anything
>> anyway; I'll tag it in the growing categories "Fedora knows better
>> then
>> me want I want" and "why Fedora never will become a true community
>> distribution"
> DaveJ doesn't want the bugreports. Are you volunteering to take them?

Sure.

> There are two ntfs implementations. One is old, crufted, and poorly
> maintained. The other one is actively maintained, with lots of new
> releases, bugfixes, and performance improvements.

Nevertheless there are about 4500 F7 users installed kmod-ntfs from
livna. I'd assume they didn't do that by accident. And I'd further
assume most howtos these days will describe ntfs-3g, so I bet a good
percentage of those 4500 chose the older one for a reason.

> Which one should Fedora put forward for users, who don't know better?
> Both?

Sure -- just make ntfs-3g the default. Then normal users are happy and
those that want the old stuff can use it easily.

CU
knurd