better install experience

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 11 10:13:44 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> On 11.10.2007 09:27, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>
>>> Sure, ntfs-3g is around -- but some people still prefer the in-kernel
>>> driver and it still gets downloaded from a well know 3rd party repo as
>>> kmod a lot.
>> That repo should drop the package ideally.
>
> I agreed, once there is no user demand for the kmod and once ntfs-3g is
> clearly better.

A lot of people continue to believe old information that Fedora does not
have any NTFS support and this is the primary reason for them going to
third party repositories. If end users are aware of better functionality
in ntfs-3g compared to kmod, the demand would be drastically less.

>> It is confusing end users
>> into believing that Fedora itself doesn't support NTFS and the FUSE
>> module in Fedora is way better.
>
> Yeah, while at it let's drop Gnome from Fedora, KDE is way better.

This is not a meaningful comparison.

Rahul