CDs DVDs or netboot. Oh my!

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Oct 11 15:15:20 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 20:51 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> History: Up until Fedora 7 all RH family products had an install CD that
> people could download, stick in their drive and install a minimal set of
> packages or at least specify a method to install from.
>
> Problem: As of Fedora 7 (and soon with Fedora 8) they cannot do this.
> The installable live cd can install but not in the traditional sense of
> what people are used to.  It has no package selection and cannot upgrade.

I'm not sure why you shouldn't be able to use anaconda on the live image
to do an upgrade of an existing Fedora OS. E.g. downloading packages
from the network or media [1] as needed.

As for "no package selection during install" on the live cd; that's just
a red herring - you can easily do this post-install. Most people just
don't notice it. Ideally the live cd installer could ask you "Do you
want to install other packages too?" and then use the network / media to
do this.

Seems like anaconda should be able to do these things if it can't
already.

      David

[1] : one could envision live media that also includes a lot of RPM's.