fedora8t2 install-from-DVD-w/no-net -> empty /etc/hosts

Jim Meyering list+rh at meyering.net
Thu Oct 11 18:14:01 UTC 2007

For the record, in case this can help someone else solve the same
problem, or fix the root-cause:

I installed fedora8t2 on new hardware and came up with no network.
The on-board NIC was not recognized by the kernel, so initially I
had no network.  I installed a PCI NIC for long enough to boot
and upgrade to the latest rawhide, and then, the on-board NICs were
recognized.  Later, I saw that running "ssh -Y host any-x-app" to that
system would always fail with this:

Error: Can't open display: localhost:11.0

The cause turned out to be that /etc/hosts was empty,
so the system failed to resolve "localhost".

My solution was to add this line to /etc/hosts: localhost

More information about the fedora-devel-list mailing list