boot-time / readahead investigations

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 12:13:30 UTC 2007

On 10/12/07, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:

> > Jon Nettleton wrote:
> >> And last but not least if you are truly adventurous grab
> >> http://www.hekanetworks.com/~jnettlet/open-source/dispatcher.d.tar.bz2
> >>
> >> It is a bunch of scripts that you can add to
> >> /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/  that can turn on and off Network
> >> Services.
>
> Does that mean Network manager can work at last on systems without a
> running gnome/X session? because otherwise, that's just making core
> service management depend on the GUI stack.

No I am making network dependent services managed by the
NetworkManagerDispatcher.

If you are using NetworkManager you already know that you won't have a
network connection until nm-applet starts ( unless you use a wired
connection and dhcp ).   What is the point of starting core services
that are network dependent if you don't have a network connection?

Jon