boot-time / readahead investigations

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 12:53:11 UTC 2007

On 10/12/07, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:

> Le Ven 12 octobre 2007 14:13, Jon Nettleton a écrit :
>
> > If you are using NetworkManager you already know that you won't have a
> > network connection until nm-applet starts ( unless you use a wired
> > connection and dhcp ).   What is the point of starting core services
> > that are network dependent if you don't have a network connection?
>
> 1. A lot of core services can be both local and network (cups for
> example). I have a local imap service (because decent maildir handling
> has been in thunderbird's "later" pipes for years). It's used remotely
> and localy. Other people have similar needs.

Yes and you can still run those services during boot if you would
like.  Nothing is stopping you.  Actually if you looked at my scripts
you will see I don't even include scripts for either of these
services.

> 2. But anyway assuming those services can be tagged as "always on, the
> problem is not having network-dependant services depend on network
> availability but having network availability depend on an applet. You
> can have home headless servers that do not use a wired connection too
> (typically : print server/ HTPC box next to the controlled hardware,
> and wifi-enabled AP/Home router next to the ADSL phone line plug)

I am not sure why this is even being brought up.  I understand what a
server is, and what it's purpose is.  However That is not what this
discussion is about.  This discussion is about speeding up the boot
time of his DESKTOP machine.

Since Harald had done a good amount of tweaking and testing boot time,
I was simply asking if moving some init services to be handled by NMD
would speed up the boot even further.  By the way.  Thanks Harald for
the testing and write up.

Jon