Packing XPIs

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Mon Oct 15 03:25:07 UTC 2007

Lubomir Kundrak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any ideas how to pack a mozilla addon? Seamonkey does not include any
> translations in the default package, so having translations packaged at
> least separately would be useful.
>
> XPI seems to be a ZIP file with a JS install script. I did use a
> language addon packaged and installed using ugly unzip and sed script
> with 1.0, but it seems to be impossible anymore. That was not very
> clever anyways.
>
> Anyone being aware of some magic seamonkey's comand line switch for
> that, or anything else?

I too have searched for a method to do this.  In addition to rebootless
livecd installation, I consider the firefox swiftabs extension to be a
key feature of my personal fedora derived livecd - http://gzyx.org -

FWIW, on that livecd is some bash (and maybe perl) script which installs
the swiftabs extention from the commandline for a specific user (from
the swiftabs xpi).  It was a tad more complicated than just sed, but
still doable.  (see /usr/bin/kablui if you are really interested).

I'm really hoping someone else answers this thread with better method
though.  It certainly seems like it would be a handy feature to expose
in some commandline tool that ships with firefox.  But I haven't found
it yet.

-dmc