Request for Comments: Proposed changes to Fedora development cycle

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Oct 16 15:25:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:05:51 +0200
Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:

> So all in all:
> -calling it alpha / beta / release candidate instead of test# +1
> -no freeze for alpha +1
> -early branching (I would say a week for the RC) +1
> -making builds in the release branch goto updates-testing after
>   branching -1 (esp combined with early branching)

Good, discussion!

Here is the problem, if the build is not deemed "good" by rel-eng to be
in the release after the release candidate where does it go?  Basically
the idea is that once the RC hits, "development" of the release is
done, but we want to enable developers to prepare updates to the
pending release to be able to release them out to updates-testing
shortly after the release.  Having the builds from the branch be tagged
as if the release were already out helps in this regard, as they're
already in the right place to be prepared as an update within Bodhi,
and if a rel-eng request is made to bring it into the release if
rel-eng agrees it's a simple tag action to "move it", and if we say no,
no tagging action is necessary it's all set up to be prepared as an
update.

Does that clarify why we're tagging them as potential updates at this
point?

--
Jesse Keating