Request for Comments: Proposed changes to Fedora development cycle

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Oct 16 19:27:43 UTC 2007

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>>> How about the maintainer?
>>
>> The  maintainer will always put his package before the distro as a whole
>>

> If that is how people here think about maintainers, or worse what they
> expect of maintainers I think I need to look for another community to
> start contributing too.

The fact is the maintainers are a collective.  And as a collective there
is just no reasonable way for them to all communicate all changes to
each other while at the same time make decisions/be responsible for
those changes.  It's a massive moving cloud, there are hundreds of us.
Many of which don't participate on the lists what-so-ever.  It's just a
practical matter of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is
doing... and there are hundreds of hands.

Someone needs to oversee that cloud's changes during a release to make
sure that what we call Fedora X is valid and working.

    -Mike