Request for Comments: Proposed changes to Fedora development cycle

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Wed Oct 17 07:34:45 UTC 2007

> The rel-eng team in conjunction with FESCo has developed a proposal for
> changing the development cycle of Fedora.  The goals are to disrupt
> development less frequently, make it easier for maintainers to get
> fixes in, and make it easier for future work to happen without risking
> disruption of a release in progress.

My number one pet peeve with how Fedora development works is that
there's no equivalent of the "testing" Debian release. It's one of the
things that I *really* think they get right, and we don't.

Personally, I'd bite the bullet and adopt an interim release methodology
so there's always a week-two week lag behind "known good" base platform
that can be used to do most package tests without worrying something
unrelated has broken today, or the whole thing won't install, or...

But that's just me ;-)

Jon.