Question on wireless module

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Wed Oct 17 13:20:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 10:58 +0000, Mike C wrote:
> I have recently been testing the rt2x00 driver and specifically the rt73usb
> component with a usb wireless adapter, using the test kernels currently
> available for F7 in updates-testing.
>
> However the wireless link is very unstable and throws streams of messages at the
> terminal as well as in the alternative consoles. I reported this in bugzilla.
>
> The question I have is whether the version of rt2x00 (and rt73usb) in rawhide is
> nearer to being usable than the driver in the F7 kernels? Therefore another
> question is whether it would be likely to work if I simply installed the rawhide
> current kernel into F7 (and maybe the rawhide wpa_supplicant also?) and see if
> that would give more stability?
>
> In addition is the new ath5k driver (that is presumably also in the rawhide
> kernel?) actually usable at the moment? I have a Dlink G-650 card with the
> Ahteros 5212 chipset that I could test if this is the case.
>
> Does anyone have any info to enlighten me on this?

My desktop machine is unusable with the current rt73usb drivers. Half of
the ping packets to it are not coming back. I was ready to blame my AP,
or my internet provider, but this laptop with an ipw3495 worked great.

I used to use the rt73 driver from the project page on FC6, and other
than falling over every couple of days (requiring me to stop all the
network connections, and rmmod/insmod the driver), it was pretty solid
and fast.

The rt73usb in the current rawhide isn't quite there (although it's nice
not having to recompile the module for every kernel update).