Question on wireless module

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Oct 17 17:19:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 03:36:07PM +0000, Mike C wrote:
> > ath5k driver has only just stopped panicing the kernel on boot, and is
> > still unstable in some situations.  It will likely get better, but don't
> > bet on ath5k being reliable at this point.
>
> Thanks - sounds like further work needs to be done before trying this driver.

I've been testing ath5k, and it seems to work fine on open networks
(no encryption).  However, even a simple WEP key didn't work when I
tried it earlier this week.  This was configuring wireless the old,
manual way with NM and wpa_supplicant stopped:

iwconfig wifi0 enc <KEY>
iwconfig wifi0 enc restricted
dhclient wifi0

I tried "open" as well as "restricted", and nothing worked.  When I
switched back to madwifi, it all works, even with NM.