gnome keyring always needs to be unlocked

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Fri Oct 19 00:01:25 UTC 2007

Robert Relyea wrote:
> Douglas McClendon wrote:
>> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>>>
>>> Are suggestion that linux laptop users are somehow immune to falling
>>> prey to problem which require  troubleshooting application
>>> configurations stored in a user's home directory?
>>
>> It's an interesting question as to what 'doesn't matter'.  I.e. mail
>> server passwords and other data and configuration stored in
>> ~/.thunderbird.  Or everything stored in ~/.firefox.  Those seem to me
>> to be things I'd like encrypted by default as a laptop user, in
>> addition to what you described as some special xdg style directory.
> Your general data is stored in ~/.thunderbird and ~/.firefox, but your
> passwords are already stored encrypted in those directories (or should
> be if you have "use master password to encrypt" set in your
> privacy/password settings).

Those are true things, but don't really have anything to do with point I
was making.  I'm a fan of a few good layers of security for a typical
laptop/desktop scenario.  A nice firewall with everything closed to the
outside world, except that which is exlicitly allowed.  A nice
encryption of the entire home directory, and screensaver locking.  Then,
once I'm inside those layers, I prefer to not use things like master
passwords in thunderbird and firefox.  If you can convince me that using
master passwords, in combination with some alternate overall scheme
provides a better balance of security and convenience...  let the debate
begin.  But be warned, I place a pretty high relative value on convenience.

-dmc