CDs DVDs or netboot. Oh my!

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Sat Oct 20 21:06:50 UTC 2007

Jonathan Steffan wrote:
> I hate to blatantly plug Fedora Unity, but we are doing some neat stuff.
> The Fedora Project could utilize some of the work we are doing,
> specifically with regards to Jigdo. If the issue is really an issue of
> storage space, a Spin of CD ISOs could be built against the GOLD tree
> (which wont have a changing package set and will survive the updates
> tree madness) and then shared via Jigdo. This would utilize the bits
> that are in the exploded GOLD tree (the release Everything tree)... not
> requiring mirrors to take on additional bits. Fedora Unity will be
> releasing GOLD CD iso images (if the Fedora Project wont), but I think
> we would prefer to "pass the buck" with regards to testing the Spin. If
> push comes to shove, I expect we'll do it. The only *real* drawback to
> Jigdo is the moving target of the updates repo for Re-Spins but this is
> another issue. I see *no* drawbacks to appeasing the remaining CD users
> by releasing a Spin, Jigdo only.

Neither do I. Templates can be as thin as possible while mirrors also
include the non-RPM parts when composed against the release tree that
every mirror will carry. Major plus is that most parts can be used from
the exploded tree, and that the DVD iso could be removed from the
mirrors also.

> I think PyJigdo (a python based implementation on top of the existing
> Jigdo[1]) should be ready for a beta release by the Fedora 8 release
> date, if not sooner.

Like in the topic of trying jigdo some time ago it whould need to be
first tested with the test releases... we're done with those. We could
however try and make this a F9Feature.

> These are our stats for CD images for our Re-Spin:
>
> Re-Spin Jigdo CD, Mirror Member 1: 261
> Re-Spin Jigdo CD, Mirror Member 2: 204
> GOLD CD Torrent (last 4 weeks): 760

Mind that the GOLD CD sets on my torrents are listed on
fp.o/wiki/CustomSpins :/

> These numbers are not "wow, we need to do CD images" but they would be
> exponentially increased if they were for "official images" promoted by
> the Fedora Project.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip