CDs DVDs or netboot. Oh my!

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Sat Oct 20 21:21:55 UTC 2007

Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 02:50:39PM -0600, Jonathan Steffan wrote:
>> Does anyone have the *technical* reason we are not doing CDs? Is this
>> because we don't want to have mirrors hosting the additional data? I can
>> assume the Live images have taken the space we have dedicated for CD
>> ISOs in the past, is this the case? Is it the testing load.. or is it we
>> don't want to have to maintain pkgorder in anaconda anymore? ;-)
>>
> ... a whole lot about Jigdo and PyJigdo ...
>> These are our stats for CD images for our Re-Spin:
>>
>> Re-Spin Jigdo CD, Mirror Member 1: 261
>> Re-Spin Jigdo CD, Mirror Member 2: 204
>> GOLD CD Torrent (last 4 weeks): 760
>>
>> These numbers are not "wow, we need to do CD images" but they would be
>> exponentially increased if they were for "official images" promoted by
>> the Fedora Project.
>
> +1
>
> I agree.  We should do CD images for Fedora 8.  Either by the regular
> ISO distribution, or via Jigdo.  Perhaps regular ISO for now, and work
> on Jigdo for Fedora 9.

We'll have torrents for F8 CDs up in no-time added to
fp.org/wiki/CustomSpins and the FAQ.

We're gonna want pyJigdo in F9 for mirror(-manager) compatibility
purposes and the ability of also distributing Re-Spins, Re-Mixes and
Fedora forks (based on Fedora distributions), perhaps a GUI front-end,
maybe someone can help us making a multi-platform client. If you do,
join #fedora-unity-devel on FreeNode.

--
Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen