Multiarch conflicts on devel packages with %doc files

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Sun Oct 21 09:33:17 UTC 2007

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 06:55:25 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 23:14 -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > ...and from elsewhere in the thread, unless you install carefully
> > (install -p) it's not just generated files that'll mismatch but even
> > header files that were copied into a devel rpm.
> Well, my view is converse: "install -p" doesn't solve anything, because
> it doesn't work on generated files.

Right. Originally, the reason why "install -p" and "cp -p" have made
it into pkg review comments is only that _old_ files from tarballs (or
additional SourceX tags) stay _old_ when copying them into the rpm
buildroot -- i.e. their old timestamps are preserved. That way the pkg
users can see the age of files more easily and see when a file has
been updated last. There is a relevant use-case for %doc and %config
at least. It helps a lot upon deciding which files to revisit, e.g.
after a quarterly update, since a fresh timestamp of a %doc file won't
pretend that a pdf/ps manual is a revision from last month when in
fact it has been created in 2001 once and never updated since.