Multiarch crazyiness

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Oct 21 18:40:17 UTC 2007

Ian Chapman wrote:
> If yum/rpm is patched  so that when arch conflicts occur in %{_bindir}
> for example, it chooses the preferred architecture, ie 64bit over 32bit
> for X86 and 32bit over 64bit for PPC, is there a technical reason why
> this cannot be applied to anything under %doc?

The current multilib solution in rpm is far from pretty, it works well, but
definitively has downsides. I think as is its a reasonable comprimise, lets not
add bandaids and patches to it for issues which should be solved elsewhere, I
feel the pain of maintainers getting these bugs (I got 15 of them), but they
are fixable without requiring the addition of yet another multilib kludge to rpm.

Regards,

Hans