Mass Branching for F-8 (round 2)

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Mon Oct 22 13:40:13 UTC 2007

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, Jesse Keating wrote:
> This was our first trial of using pkgdb completely for the branching of
> the system.  We have identified some parts where we could possible
> speed things up for the next time we mass branch so I expect it to go
> faster next time, however if our package growth rate continues the
> speed ups we get may be surpassed by just branching that many more
> packages.

  Out of curiosity, in the next iteration of branching-time, will it be (or
is it already?) possible for a maintainer to request that pkgdb branch
their, or ideally, all of their, packages?  It seems to me that a packager
could kick it off, knowing they're not going to make any modifications to
their packages until the branching finishes, thereby reducing the need to
actually lock CVS activity?  (Okay, some coordination with comaintainers
would be necessary, but it could still be a good idea.)  Unless I'm
missing something (always a possibility, and often a likely one), that
would minimize the time needed for the mass branching.
  Thoughts? :-)

      Jima