Multiarch crazyiness

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Oct 22 14:19:03 UTC 2007

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:59:25 +0200
> Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Sure, but usually there isn't a point in having *both* 32bit and 64bit
> > versions of applications installed (which happens by default though).
>
> Applications get dragged in because the libraries aren't split out into
> -libs subpackages.  If they were, then the -devel and -libs packages
> would be available multilib, but the application itself wouldn't.
Not quite.

All of my packages, against which complaints have been BZ'ed, all are
*-devel packages which suffer from
- Conflicts in /usr/bin/* devel tools (typical *-config scripts)
- Conflicts in %doc files below /usr/share (90% of them steming from
doxygen generated docs and __man pages__)

I.e. these packages run-time packages are installable in parallel, but
their *-devel packages conflicts.

So, as it seems to me, the "multiarch" campaign of is aiming at parallel
installation of the *devel packages.

Ralf