any plans to make wireless more user-friendly in Fedora 9?

Mike C mike.cohler at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 17:10:24 UTC 2007

Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot <at> laposte.net> writes:

> Le Lun 22 octobre 2007 11:36, Valent Turkovic a écrit :
>
> > Please make it on by default also for DVD install images.
>
> Till it works for all the systems Fedora targets (including those with
> no permanent GUI session that also need network/wifi connexion) the
> answer is no.

Having recently got wpa_supplicant working in F7 with ipw2200 and another
machine with iwl3945, I am now definitely a fan of wpa_supplicant as opposed to
NM. I can configure a machine to bring up a wireless connection at boot now and
it will connect either at home or at work - and that is ideal for a user that
wants to boot and then load a browser and work with the web or then do office
stuff. The many people who have made the in-kernel drivers, wpa_supplicant and
NM as well ought to be congratulated on getting this into a working state.
However there are further developments yet to be done - getting rt2x00 and ath5k
working would be another huge step forward.

Yes, I can configure the necessary admin side in the background but the
non-technical user sometimes would prefer not even to have to select a wireless
AP from the NM menu.

I have several family members who are F7 fans now but are definitely not
technical when it comes to installing or setting up the system.