Multiarch crazyiness

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Mon Oct 22 18:36:40 UTC 2007

> Jon Masters (jonathan at jonmasters.org) said:
> > Without ranting aimlessly, IMO the only real solution is to stop
> > kludging rpm, yum, etc. and split out multilib libraries properly - and
> > if needed, seek and get approval for a bin64/bin32 with alternatives
> > system. Hacking RPM to simply ignore the fact that two packages provide
> > the same file is not the solution.
>
> Congrats. You just suggested /usr/bin64 to solve conflicting files in
> /usr/share/doc. How does that work, exactly?

You're right. I am a fool. More importantly though, I didn't properly
consider the conflicting docs issue - I think in that case it's a case
of the file being in the wrong package.

I know you don't like the bin32/bin64 idea, but I think it's the only
real way to "solve" having both binary flavors of a package installed at
the same time, if that needs to be solved. The lesser issue - more
easily solved - is that of libraries, where I think a general consensus
to split them out into -libs packages over time would do the trick.

Jon.