CDs DVDs or netboot. Oh my!

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue Oct 23 08:42:44 UTC 2007

Jon Ciesla wrote:
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>> Now we are talking about an actual problem which wasn't clear to me
>>> earlier. So if Fedora Project released regular CD's for this release and
>>> makes live upgrades a supported option from Fedora 9 onwards, do you see
>>> any need for a regular CD variant in the future?
>>>
>> Other then for it's sentimental value, the impressive number of discs
>> for the Everything spin or laptop-in-the-bush cases, there's no real
>> need for CD's. The few people that want a customized install with all
>> kinds of exotic partitioning schemes (or minimal installs) should either
>> be able to create CDs off the DVD iso or get the CDs from any third
>> party providing them.
>
> A: I have not DVD drives.

But with supported live upgrades you would have the functionality you
_need_, right? Meanwhile CDs are available from me, for example.

> B: So we'll be providing links to "official" 3rd parties who provide CDs,
> then?

I'm not sure, that isn't up to me. CustomSpins will have a link, so will
the FAQ but I doubt the Fedora Project would dare to make it anything
official

> C: By the time I can create a CD set for F-8 from remote mirrors with
> Revisor, F-9 will be at Test3. . .

How's that? Being a Revisor developer I'm interested to know what's up.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen