packaging libcurl separately

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 13:00:41 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 04:45:46PM +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 03:27:53PM +0200, Jindrich Novy wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > just a few questions:
> >
> > 1) What is your opinion on packaging libcurl separately (read independently on curl)?
> >    For references: http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2004-09/0095.html
>
> That would make a lot of sense to me.

For me as well. The problem is that after moving libs from curl to libcurl, curl will
turn into non-multilib package, what may break upgrade path. I'm not sure whether yum is
able to cope with that these days, but it didn't recently. If yes, I can commit the
curl/libcurl split just now.

> > 2) How about compat-libcurl or libcurl3, libcurl4 packages to let users run third
> >    party software independently on the libcurl version in the distribution?
>
> If there is a real demand for that, indeed, but not for fedora packages
> (though this is what is implied by your wording).

Well, I saw no real demand for it, I just asked to get a feedback whether there is
or isn't  any ;-)

Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>   http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/