packaging libcurl separately

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Oct 23 13:28:20 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 03:00:41PM +0200, Jindrich Novy wrote:

> For me as well. The problem is that after moving libs from curl to libcurl, curl will
> turn into non-multilib package, what may break upgrade path. I'm not sure whether yum is
> able to cope with that these days, but it didn't recently. If yes, I can commit the
> curl/libcurl split just now.

Ok, I see. It is not a priority, in my opinion, so we can wait for yum
to be fixed, I guess this is something that is taken care of. You could
add a Provides in the mean time if you want to ease the work of
packagers that depend on curl itself, but my experience is that people
fix the dependency only when they are broken, not in advance.

> Well, I saw no real demand for it, I just asked to get a feedback whether there is
> or isn't  any ;-)

Ok, so let's see... However I am not sure that it is the best place to
ask such question since the need for compat libs is certainly more
important outside of the circle of the fedora developpers, and more a
need for some users that are not involved in devel, people in devel is
certainly more used to the speed of fedora change.

--
Pat