Multiarch crazyiness

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue Oct 23 18:16:44 UTC 2007

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:56:38 -0400
> Matthew Saltzman <mjs at CLEMSON.EDU> wrote:
>
> > So on those archs one would want a 64-bit kernel and 32-bit apps,
> > except for large-memory programs or those needing 64/128-bit
> > numerical types (self-developed code, for example)?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Is that how it's actually handled by the installer?
>
> We prefer 32bit on those platforms.

Isn't this codified though, rather than through a package list
containing fully qualified packages with arches? IMO it'd be best in the
longer term if the only thing Anaconda needed to have were a list of
packages with arches rather than assuming any such logic. I see why it's
not that easy today, but if it didn't need to handle ordering of install
for multilib implementation, then I think it could be a lot simpler.

Jon.