Request permission to break always use system libs rule for asc-2.0

Christian Iseli Christian.Iseli at licr.org
Wed Oct 24 12:42:01 UTC 2007

Hey Hans,

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:59:57 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Anyways I'm totally fed up with having discussions like this with the
> bureaucratic powers that control Fedora (woa I feel like I'm Ralf now) either
> the powers that be give me permission to use SDLmm and paragui as included and
> maintained within upstream asc release, or I'll just orphan all 3 of them. I
> refuse to become upstream for 2 libraries backporting fixes from asc each
> release just because some people want to follow the rules as if they are
> something holy. orphaning asc would be a shame as its a great and quite popular
> game, but if that is want the powers that be want, then that is what they will get.

I'd say: just relax and follow your original idea.  It makes sense and
your reasons make sense to me too.

Worse comes to worst, someone will file a BZ ticket and/or ask FESCO
for a decision.

So far, from FESCO, I've only seen caillon comment and also agree that
you should follow your plan.

I don't think FESCO should be seen as wanting to police each and every
of your decisions.  I think we trust the maintainers to make the
right decisions.  I think FESCO should only step in when there is a
disagreement between different maintainers that they are unable to
resolve between themselves.  In this case, different opinions have been
expressed but I didn't see someone violently oppose your plan.  Of
course, given an infinite amount of free time we could make many
wonderful things, but we must be content with what reality has to
offer...

Kind regards,
					Christian