catching broken deps

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Oct 25 14:06:11 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:50:09 +0200
> Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
>
>> You see, we (Thorsten and me) do not want to make this 100% bullet
>> proof, we just want to do some cheap (in computing time) checks which
>> should catch a > 50% percentage of all breakages.
>>
>> * Packages with this error would get a special tag and rel-eng can
>> override this for things like firefox updates, etc. But normally we
>> do not want provides to go away with updates to a release.
>

> Do you have code to do this?

Not at the moment, but before sinking time into this I would first like to see
some commitment to / interest in checks like these.

If we are going to do this I have a few questions:
-What languages would be acceptable to write such checks in?
-What kind of access to the repository for which is being build is available on
  the buildsys. (mirror mounted as filesystem / yum only / ..)

Regards,

Hans