Autoapprove watch* acls in the pkgdb (was Re: [pkgdb] bluez-libs: hadess has requested watchbugzilla)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 16:51:17 UTC 2007

Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Heya,
>
> On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 03:45 -0700, Fedora PackageDB wrote:
>> Bastien Nocera (hadess) has requested the watchbugzilla acl on bluez-libs (Fedora devel)
>>
>> To make changes to this package see:
>>   https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/bluez-libs
>
> I'm sure this has been asked before. But why do I need to ask permission
> to watch a component in bugzilla?

It hasn't been asked before on the list but that's a piece of
code/policy that I have on my list to fix[1]_.  No time like the present
to get some feedback :-)

Proposal:

I'd like to have watchbugzilla and watchcommits (and any other watch*
acls in the future) auto-approve.  By example:

1) Bastien goes to the bluez-libs webpage.
2) Clicks the checkbox for watchbugzilla.
3) Request is sent to the packagedb which immediately sets the acl.
4) Bastien will immediately start being CC'd on all future bluez-libs bugs.

Does anyone have problems with this piece?

I'm also thinking that we don't need to be as complete about sending
mail when someone signs up for a watch* acl.  Currently mail goes out to:

* fedora-extras-commits at r.c
* Package owner
* Package maintainers with approveacls set

I don't see a reason to send a message to the commits list in this
scenario.  Sending to package owner and maintainers I'm hesitant about
-- on the one hand, they no longer need to approve the acls so why
bother.  On the other, maybe maintainers want to know who has shown
interest in their package.

If you have opinions on this, please let me know!

Now that Bastien's brought it up, I'd like to start working on this.  If
  I don't hear objections, I'll start coding this towards the end of
next week (deployment to occur after F8 has been released.)

.. _[1]: https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/packagedb/ticket/66

Thanks,
Toshio