Fedora 8 blocker update - testers needed (still!)

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Sat Oct 27 01:21:54 UTC 2007

fre, 26 10 2007 kl. 19:18 -0400, skrev Will Woods:
> As promised, here's an update on the current Fedora 8 Blocker list.
>
> As a note: the deadline for blocker fixes is Tuesday, October 29. If we
> still have unfixed critical bugs Tuesday, the release will have to be
> delayed.
>
> But I don't think that'll happen. Things are looking OK. We currently
> have 14 bugs on the blocker list, which I'll talk about in detail below.
> About half of them have fixes that are waiting for confirmation, and a
> couple of them could be dropped if necessary because they only affect
> particular, uncommon hardware.
>
> What we need help testing is:
>
> 1) ALSA - 1.0.15 was released last week, and we decided it was a
> low-risk update that would fix audio problems. for a lot of people. You
> probably saw mail from Chuck Ebbert about this already.

using the snd-intel8x0 driver, things work just fine after this update.
I'll test a few more drivers if I can find more soundcards in the
hardware graveyard.

> 2) Intel wireless - John Linville, our fearless (and handsome) wireless
> maintainer, just added a fix for iwlwifi that should help some Intel
> wireless users.

My laptop has one of these, I'm not seeing any crashing but NM is still
not fond of correctly interacting with the keyring, also establishing
the connection to the AP often takes several tries. I will try after
todays update I saw some NM rpms in the queue. Regardless the connection
establishing issue seems common on my network, my desktop (rt61pc1)
displays the same problem as well as frequent disconnects.

On my desktop I often find that repeatedly rmmoding the driver will
allow me restore the connection.

Regardless, while not super stable, the wifi setup I have going has
improved massively just over the last week.

> Both of the above patches are in kernel-2.6.23.1-37.fc8, which should
> land in rawhide tomorrow. You can get it from koji in the meantime:
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=22511
>
> 3) dmraid, especially Intel
> See bug 349161 below. Something is causing mkinitrd to mess up the /init
> script, which leaves the reporter's system unbootable. We can't
> reproduce it at all.

nForce3 dmraid has been stunningly stable and bugfree all during F8, I'm
sorry to report no entertaining breakage.