Potential changes to Fedora development cycle

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sat Oct 27 10:00:07 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 01:52:34PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> The release engineering team as put together a proposed set of
> development cycle changes [1] that could affect Fedora 9 development.
> This proposed set of changes has been reviewed on fedora-devel-list and
> other lists for a period of time and input has been incorporated as
> best it could.  Now it's coming time for FESCo to vote on adopting the
> new development cycle.

This seems right to me. The section 'Release Candidate and Final release'
is a bit too dense to me. I think I understand it, but it seems to me
that it could be clearer. A specific point that could be clarified is:

  This freeze point is also the point in which we would create any
  remaining needed branches in CVS for the release. Any builds from the
  branch would be held in an updates candidate tag to be potential updates
  for after the release, or to be pulled in to the release by request.

It is not clear to me what the 'remaining needed branches in CVS for the
release' are at that point. This explained in the next paragraph, however,
unless I am wrong, but should certainly appear before since some branches
could be created between beta and RC.

Maybe what could be done is add, between 'Beta' and 'Release Candidate
and Final release':

=== Early (optional) CVS branching ===

Right after Beta release or sometime between Beta and RC release, we
allow for early branching of software. This allows developers to check
in new features and otherwise unstable changes that would not be
suitable to introduce to the current release.

=== Release Candidate and Final release ===

..... This freeze point is also the point in which we would create any
remaining needed branches in CVS (that haven't been created during the
early CVS branching) for the release.

Not a big deal.

--
Pat