correct spec file creation

Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus stefan at seekline.net
Sat Oct 27 15:07:34 UTC 2007

I found some differences in the building process of a spec file.

I will refer to the following document as A
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/developers-guide/ch-rpm-building.html
and this one as B
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines

A suggests to use %makeinstall (as seen in the example and in the
description of the example) while B says exactly the opposite _not_ to
use %makeinstall ("Why the %makeinstall macro should not be used").

Another difference ist the use of PreReq (and maybe BuildPreReq too?)
which is used in A and B suggests _not_ to use it.

While I'm new to RPM and I just wanted to setup my first packet, could
someone point out the difference and just say what is right and wrong?

cheers,
Stefan