Problem with the live ISOs and creating bootable USB installation media?

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 00:13:49 UTC 2007

Hi,

This evening I downloaded rawhide-20071019-x86_64.iso as found on the
Fedora torrents. I then tried to create a bootable USB stick using a
fully updated F-7 box:

# livecd-iso-to-disk rawhide-20071019-x86_64.iso /dev/sdb1
Already set up as live image.  Deleting old in fifteen seconds...
Copying live image to USB stick
cp: cannot stat `/media/cdtmp.s17912/squashfs.img': No such file or directory
Cleaning up to exit...

For a sanity check I retried using an F-7 livecd iso:

# livecd-iso-to-disk Fedora_ISO/Fedora-7-Live-x86_64.iso /dev/sdb1
Already set up as live image.  Deleting old in fifteen seconds...
Copying live image to USB stick
Updating boot config file
Installing boot loader
USB stick set up as live image!

So that works. It looks like  something changed with how the ISOs are
structured such that the livecd-tools under F-7 are broken with the
F-8 isos. This isn't good, as I think I'm describing what will be
quite a common use case when F-8 is released (i.e. people wishing to
create bootable F-8 sticks under F-7 in order to upgrade).

jonathan