Fedora 8 blocker update - testers needed (still!)

Matthew Saltzman mjs at CLEMSON.EDU
Sun Oct 28 19:16:26 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 19:18 -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> As promised, here's an update on the current Fedora 8 Blocker list.
>
> As a note: the deadline for blocker fixes is Tuesday, October 29. If we
> still have unfixed critical bugs Tuesday, the release will have to be
> delayed.
>
> But I don't think that'll happen. Things are looking OK. We currently
> have 14 bugs on the blocker list, which I'll talk about in detail below.
> About half of them have fixes that are waiting for confirmation, and a
> couple of them could be dropped if necessary because they only affect
> particular, uncommon hardware.
>
> What we need help testing is:
>
> 1) ALSA - 1.0.15 was released last week, and we decided it was a
> low-risk update that would fix audio problems. for a lot of people. You
> probably saw mail from Chuck Ebbert about this already.

kernel-2.6.23.1-37.fc8:

Most sound works well on my ThinkPad T61, except that the volume buttons
don't control volume level.  The mute button mutes, and the volume
buttons unmute, but volume doesn't change.  Also, lowering volume to
minimum turns on the mute indicator in the volume-level pop-up (even
though it's not muted), but the mute button doesn't.  Software sliders
in gnome-volume-control and system-config-soundcard do work.

> 2) Intel wireless - John Linville, our fearless (and handsome) wireless
> maintainer, just added a fix for iwlwifi that should help some Intel
> wireless users.

Almost everything seems OK, except for attaching to a hidden SSID
(wasn't working before, but I can't test till tomorrow) and vpnc
dropping it's connection.  I need to test if that's an issue with wired
connection before I conclude it's iwl3945-related.

> Both of the above patches are in kernel-2.6.23.1-37.fc8, which should
> land in rawhide tomorrow. You can get it from koji in the meantime:
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=22511

> === NetworkManager bugs ===
>
> * Bug 311511: NEW - dcbw
> - x86_64 iwl3945 NM crash after Keyring loop Deny
>
> Comments indicate that the crash is fixed, but it still loops on bad
> passwords.

I think that was my comment.  By "loops" I meant that one is prompted
repeatedly for the keyring password.  There's no failure mode other than
getting the password right or clicking "deny".  Not sure if that's by
design or not.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences