How to generate videoaliases/foo.xinf for hwdata?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 13:46:27 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 11:42 +0100, Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:
> I guess that for proper integration of xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd into Fedora
> the package should ship a /usr/share/hwdata/videoaliases/radeonhd.xinf file.

Only if the driver is at a stability level where giving it to users by
default is the right thing.  It's probably worth coordinating with ajax
on it, also, as having two drivers (avivo and radeonhd) saying they
drive the same hardware is going to lead to less than predictable
results

> Is the xinf file format documented somewhere? Are there tools to create it?

It's the same as the modaliases generated from kernel modules.  No real
documentation of it that I know of other than the module-init-tools
source

Jeremy