KDE logout options with F8

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 31 02:27:36 UTC 2007

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 07:44 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> Besides my point was that if users select GNOME they should get GDM and
>> if users select KDE, they should get KDM. Is anyone willing to respond
>> to that?
>
> Sure, here you go: a display manager is a security sensitive piece of
> code. Shipping multiple just because their names start with a letter you
> don't like is not a smart move, because you end up doing twice the
> security errata.

We are already shipping multiple display managers in our repository and
KDM is already the default if you use KDE spin of Fedora. Only in the
Fedora DVD, is GDM the default. The security argument only applies if we
aren't shipping the package in the repository at all. As it stands, we
have to provide a security errata if there are security issues in KDM
anyway. So what matters here is only what is the default.

If you read why this thread started, it is because there is a regression
in functionality if GDM is the default in KDE (ie) users lose the
shutdown, hibernation buttons etc. Dismissing that regression by saying
that it merely because of a letter is ignoring a actual problem.

Rahul