KDE logout options with F8

lexual floss at lex.hider.name
Wed Oct 31 02:38:42 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 07:44 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>
>>> Besides my point was that if users select GNOME they should get GDM
>>> and if users select KDE, they should get KDM. Is anyone willing to
>>> respond to that?
>>
>> Sure, here you go: a display manager is a security sensitive piece of
>> code. Shipping multiple just because their names start with a letter you
>> don't like is not a smart move, because you end up doing twice the
>> security errata.
>
> We are already shipping multiple display managers in our repository
> and KDM is already the default if you use KDE spin of Fedora. Only in
> the Fedora DVD, is GDM the default. The security argument only applies
> if we aren't shipping the package in the repository at all. As it
> stands, we have to provide a security errata if there are security
> issues in KDM anyway. So what matters here is only what is the default.
>
> If you read why this thread started, it is because there is a
> regression in functionality if GDM is the default in KDE (ie) users
> lose the shutdown, hibernation buttons etc. Dismissing that regression
> by saying that it merely because of a letter is ignoring a actual
> problem.
>
> Rahul

My 2 cents.

1) Isn't it a bug that shutdown/hibernate options aren't available in
kde using gdm?
2) Isn't the issue not whether gdm or kdm gets installed (kdm will also
be installed with kde desktop group), but which one is set to run on
booting.
3) I agree that avoiding xdm is a good idea.
4) If we change so that user ticking kde group install get kdm on boot,
what happens if user has ticked both gnome and kde. It's perfectly
legitimate to have a computer where different users use gnome, kde,
xfce, etc. So GNOME/KDE desktop installation isn't always an either or
option. They're not mutually exclusive.

Is it a kdebase or gdm bug that the shutdown options aren't available
from a kde session with gdm as manager?

Lex.