KDE logout options with F8

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Oct 31 05:02:41 UTC 2007

lexual <floss <at> lex.hider.name> writes:
> 1) Isn't it a bug that shutdown/hibernate options aren't available in
> kde using gdm?

It is, it has been fixed now.

> 2) Isn't the issue not whether gdm or kdm gets installed (kdm will also
> be installed with kde desktop group), but which one is set to run on
> booting.

Yes. But not installing GDM in the first place would make booting do the right
thing automatically, so that would be one way to do it.

> 3) I agree that avoiding xdm is a good idea.

Are you suggesting throwing out all the lightweight WMs too? How's XDM any
different?

> 4) If we change so that user ticking kde group install get kdm on boot,
> what happens if user has ticked both gnome and kde. It's perfectly
> legitimate to have a computer where different users use gnome, kde,
> xfce, etc. So GNOME/KDE desktop installation isn't always an either or
> option. They're not mutually exclusive.

Then they get a global default, probably GDM. (It's what happens now if both
GDM and KDM are installed, which is part of what causes this issue, the other
part being that GDM is always installed by default.)

> Is it a kdebase or gdm bug that the shutdown options aren't available
> from a kde session with gdm as manager?

GDM made a change which broke KDE, Bill Nottingham has patched kdebase to match
the new GDM now.

        Kevin Kofler