OOo .odt files - open with Java by default

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 31 09:24:04 UTC 2007

Caolan McNamara wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 22:48 -0500, King InuYasha wrote:
>> I never install Sun Java. These problems crop up in a default Fedora
>> install for me.
>
> Where as I have never ever ever seen it. Do you get the same error
> message of "if you open this file, the file might present a security
> risk to your system"

Since I've had this happening for some time , I think I worked out how
to cause it:
F7 updated.
nautilus --browser  {actually I change the defaults to view list and
open in browser windows}.

The list shows:
ootexticon   whatever.odt   type=ODT document
If you left click the .odt etc, open office writer is spawned, and "it
is good".

However, if you actually put the cursor on the file by eg down-down-down
in the file list, or by right clicking on the file, the type changes so
that it now says:
javaicon     whatever.odt   type=Java Archive

Once this is the case, a left click now generates the warning dialog:
"The filename "the_tint_shop (copy).12149.odt" indicates that this file
is of type "ODT document". The contents of the file indicate that the
file is of type "Java Archive". If you open this file, the file might
present a security risk to your system.

Do not open the file unless you created the file yourself, or received
the file from a trusted source. To open the file, rename the file to the
correct extension for "Java Archive", then open the file normally.
Alternatively, use the Open With menu to choose a specific application
for the file. "

Same with a zip file:
archiveicon   whatever.zip   ZIP archive

after cursor on the file:
javaicon     whatever.zip   type=Java Archive

I also see similar for asf file that changes to wmf {or reverse, I forget}.

My explanation {no evidence} is that when you click the file - the file
command is run to determine the content type regardless of extension. So
it would be this that is badly interpreting it ? That doesn't seem to be
the actual case if I run: file  on the commands it gives the correct
answers.

DaveT.