Mesa license issue?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Oct 31 12:32:42 UTC 2007

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 04:38 -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
>> Update: I found this commit in Mesa's git:
>>
>> http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=mesa/mesa.git;a=commitdiff;h=344c3f7379ab4db749e7e8513be9be8fbb9f126c
>>
>> It appears this is fixed in Mesa 7, which is in F8, but I don't know
>> where this leaves F7 and whatnot, which are still shipping Mesa 6.5.x.
>
> I'm not sure that's even remotely legal for Mesa to have committed. The
> SGI Free B license doesn't permit arbitrary relicensing, and without any
> code changes, that amounts to simply stripping the copyright and license
> off the old files.
>
> Adam, do you know the details behind that commit?

I've done some research on this, the OpenGL standard has been given in the
hands of an organization called "The Khronos Group Inc":
http://www.khronos.org/

They are now the owners of:
http://www.opengl.org/

Where the host atleast some of the involved header files:
http://www.opengl.org/registry/api/glext.h
http://www.opengl.org/registry/api/glxext.h
http://www.opengl.org/registry/api/wglext.h

With a new Khronos copyright header, these are the only files changed by the
commit, so yes this is legit. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the whole problem.

Regards,

Hans