KDE logout options with F8

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Oct 31 18:49:55 UTC 2007

Christopher Aillon <caillon <at> redhat.com> writes:
> If your first reaction had been to ask for more information instead of
> add complaints, I might have mentioned that the plan is to have this for
> F9 (I think so at least, someone can correct me if I'm wrong?).  Not
> sure if that counts as long term...

Even if somebody implements a KDE frontend for the GDM backend, that won't make
KDM go away. There's no way KDM is going away for KDE 4.0 which realistically
will be what F9 will be shipping. (And of course, it's even less likely that
said thing would happen in 3.5. Chances that KDE 4.1 will be anywhere near
ready at F9 release are essentially nil, 4.1 might quite possibly not even make
F10.)

> It is a reasonable request.  Can you accept reasonable answers?  Notting
> and jkeating have already replied with technical analysis explaining why
> it is not possible.

I have suggested at least 2 technical solutions, none of which needs any
changes to Anaconda:
1. revert the default login manager in Base X to XDM. As much as you
(plural "you") hate that, it's the most logical solution and some other people
in this thread are defending it too.
2. change the fallback logic to pick KDM over GDM. As I said, I think we can
easily put KDM in a subpackage so it doesn't accidentally get installed by a
dependency on kdebase, kde-redhat used to do that in FC6 times.

There's another one, which is even less invasive (and doesn't change the
behavior for the neither-GNOME-nor-KDE case as 1. nor for the
both-GNOME-and-KDE case as 2., but really only affects KDE-but-not-GNOME which
is what needs fixing), but has to be implemented as a specialized Anaconda
hack. Pseudocode:
if (! upgrade && KDE selected && ! GNOME selected)
  echo 'DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"' >/mnt/sysimage/etc/sysconfig/desktop

> Besides, we already know it's not going to happen for F8.  And F9 we
> could in theory have a better all around solution....

"better" is subjective. If upstream KDE isn't going to drop KDM or recommend
against it, IMHO that fact shouldn't be ignored.

        Kevin Kofler