Python 3.0

David G. Mackay mackay_d at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 2 02:13:52 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-02 at 01:20 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > don't know if it matters, but if FESCo can limit the
> > packages one can add to fedora with technical reasons
> > accepted by the packagers themselves, then I don't think
> > Fedora is for me.
>
> If you want to consider the broader impact of things, there are things
> like alternative kernels or kernel modules or compatibility libraries
> etc that are being excluded or being considered for exclusion by reasons
> other than just the willingness of package maintainers. This isn't
> something new and we shouldn't be pretending that it is.

And, perhaps FESCO would feel differently about the impact of things if
THEY relied upon Fedora.  I refer to minutes from one of the FESCO
meetings where they discussed the issue.  The point was raised that
Fedora Infrastructure utilized Zope.  But, the counter was that Fedora
Infrastructure servers use RHEL5, so no problem.  Sounds like the U. S.
Congress making sure that they aren't impacted by their own decisions.

Dave