changelogs in packages and space use

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Sun Sep 2 02:26:07 UTC 2007

Eric Sandeen <sandeen at redhat.com> wrote:
> David Cantrell wrote:
>
> > Arbitrarily deciding to remove all changelog entries older than 1
> > year is stupid.  For some packages you'll end up with one entry (or
> > none!) and for some packages you probably won't make a dent
> > (kernel?).

;-)

> It seems reasonable to me, as a simple starting point, to ask
> maintainers to trim changelogs to information that is relevant to that
> %{VERSION}.  (maybe last 2 versions).  Ideally that changelog would
> contain documentation for all patches still carried, and go back to the
> changelog entry that bumped the version (or 2).  Perhaps if that version
> bump caused patches to be removed, that should also be in the changelog,
> with rationale ("patch FOO removed, now upstream").

Problem is that I've got changelog entries like:

 - Update to new version
 - Carry patch NN forward
 - Fix SPEC for guidelines
 - New/changed configuration file XYZ
 - ...

You can't just keep it all or none, and editing out "now uninteresting
bits" and keeping all elsewhere makes the exercise rather pointless IMHO.