ubuntu bulletproof x

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 00:46:47 UTC 2007

On 9/2/07, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Isn't the fact that windows works with them a pretty good demonstration?

Sadly we don't have access to that source code now do we. Please keep
the rhetorical comments to a minimum.

piece of code involved in the parsing of inf files that Ubuntu is
making use of.  The scope of the discussion is grounded in how that
piece of code parses inf files and whether or not the information it
parses out of the file in sufficient to solve the problems linux users
maybe having with hardware detection. Show specifically that the
information THAT piece of code pulls out of the inf file is enough to
solve the problems needed to make things work like you expect inside
X. If there is information in the inf file that piece of code doesn't
make use of correctly... feel free to point that. If you run across in
bugs in Xorg's X11 server in the process feel free to point those out
as well.

> Is he suggesting that windows uses magic?  I thought he meant instead
> that X doesn't use the information sensibly.

Are you asking me to-reinterpret Mr. Jackson's statements for
additional implied meaning?
Let me humbly suggest that making it a point to ask 3rd parties to
read implied meanings into other people's comments is a sure way to
create continued miscommunication and is not an inherently
constructive activity.

Stop trolling for divisive commentary, and start bringing technical
specifics to the table. If you actually care about the user
experience, more than you care about arguing about the user
experience, you will start addressing the technical limitations of the
codebase in question.

-jef"the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round, 'round and 'round,
'round and 'round. The pointlessly long discussion with no technical
merit go 'round and 'round, 'round and 'round"spaleta