My 2 cents on the whole Fedora to succeed as global wide deployed desktop are...

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Mon Sep 3 13:18:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 15:00 +0200, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 14:58:33 +0200
> Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at seznam.cz> wrote:
>
> > I think we should rather take a loooong thought and add to FirstBoot
> > one screen for selecting services, which would be easy and simple to
> > use. You would have there a combo with Desktop/Notebook/Server
> > choices, and some checkboxes for optional services (but with sane
> > names). I can imagine that as nobody needs bluetooth on server, on
> > Desktop nearly nobody needs running power manager, etc. We should
> > take a thought and decide what services should be enabled by default
> > and what services should be easily available for user enabling during
> > first boot (most likely the cups one, but MUST be called something
> > like Printer Support).
>
> Actually my feeling is that we should get rid of as many firstboot
> screens as possible and just pick reasonable defaults.  The tools are
> there if a curious user needs to adjust something.  So much of what we
> ask is just silly.

Yes, most ARE, but the one with services could be useful. There is a
batch of services that are useful on most of notebooks, but are unneeded
on most of Desktops/Servers and vice versa. And we'd like to get rid of
as much unneeded services as possible, so if we target the default ones
with a thought of the target platform, it would be IMHO more effective.
Maybe it could go to anaconda, but personally I think that first boot is
better place for that.