Why don't we have a themed "Screen Locked" anymore?

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Mon Sep 3 14:18:42 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 07:57 +0530, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
> > Just do
> >
> > gconftool-2 --type string --set /apps/gnome-screensaver/lock_dialog_theme system
> >
> > to get that dialog.
>
> I just did it, and it looks really nice on my Rawhide desktop.
>
> > We turned it off by default, since some people were confused by it.
>
> How can one be confused by such a thing?

The original implementation tied the greeter theme to the selected
screensaver, so that the fedora-branded dialog would only appear for the
"flying fedora" saver. That was what some people found confusing. Later,
the lock dialog theming was changed to be keyed off a gconf key.

FWIW, I don't think turning it on by default would be a problem.