My 2 cents on the whole Fedora to succeed as global wide deployed desktop are...

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 15:34:36 UTC 2007

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

> Restrictively patented software may, in your and many others' opinion,
> still be Free; I my opinion, it's not. It may be FOSS, but it isn't Free
> in the most pure sense of the word; If I can't share what I use, freely,
> with someone else just because there so happens to be an ocean in
> between and my buddy is living in the states; that to me isn't free.

But surprisingly, nobody makes any effort to share the burden of system
administration, which is why so few people use unix-like systems and why
there are endless discussions like this of what packages should and
shouldn't be installed or bundled in some small set of configuration
choices that aren't going to fit everyone or be exactly right for any
purpose.

What we really need is a push-button way for anyone who thinks they have
built a system that is well configured for some particular use to
publish his installed package list - and perhaps add a repository in the
odd case that he needed something not in the usual repositories.  Then
anyone else should be able to read through the descriptions of the
purposes for these configurations and why the admin that created them
believes his setup is the best, pick one, and automatically get the same
set of packages installed on his own computer - and periodically repeat
to track the updates.  This would eliminate about 90% of the reasons for
having multiple distributions with confusing differences and give the
effect of having an expert system administrator tuning each installation
for its intended use.

If free software distribution was really about sharing instead of
providing a complex base to sell support and services,  I think
something like this would have been done long ago.

--

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com