My 2 cents on the whole Fedora to succeed as global wide deployed desktop are...

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 20:11:24 UTC 2007

On 9/3/07, Stewart Adam <s.adam at diffingo.com> wrote:
> Duplicating s-c-s into firstboot would be pointless; I think what Martin
> was trying to say was that a the services we enable now as a "just
> incase" like apmd, cpuspeed, the rpc batch could go into a "Do you
> actually need these?" list. A simple checkmark with clear, one-lined
> descriptions.

If you are able to simplify it... then simplify it post-install by
improving s-c-services. There is no compelling reason to let users
disable default services as part of the install process.

Let's say my wife installs fedora on her desktop and she doesn't want
bluetooth. Using an install time process...like you want..she'd turn
it off at install time right?
Now lets say she gets a spiffy bluetooth appliance and an usb to
bluetooth adaptor for her desktop so she can talk to that bluetooth
appliance. Where does she go to re-enable bluetooth on the desktop?
She has to go to s-c-services!!!!!!!

The ultimate win here is to fix the primary user interface users need
to use to turn off and turn on services they feel they need or don't
need. The other ultimate win is to more towards on-demand servicing as
much as possible to reduce the need for any service control.  There is
no compelling reason to drive this into the install process.. it only
complicates usability because the user will have to interact with a
different interface to turn services back on post-install.

-jef